Wants and needs are easily confused. Birds, for example, need water like all creatures. They don’t need berries, but their sweet flavor and high water content makes berries particularly attractive. Our recently-installed netting, however, frustrates our flying friends from fulfilling both wants and needs (though it does little for alliterative flourishes).
Flowers need attention, as do little girls (and, I would imagine, little boys, though we won’t be collecting anecdotal evidence for a few more weeks yet). And the best attention is often so seemingly slight: a pat, a hug, a kind word.
- 2004: Payment Required :: Salvation, Mercy, and Logic, Part II
- 2006: Christmas Dumplings
- 2007: No!
- 2009: 14-year-old Poetry
- 2011: Fifth Birthday (Party)
- 2012: Parties
- Marta Bielec on Seventh Birthday Party
- Heather Kirby Rhea on Seventh Birthday Party
- Naomi Williams Scott on Christmas Tree Farm
- Jennifer Fahy on Queen Mab
- Michael Goforth on How to Plagiarize